Dermatology is a field of medicine that deals with the treatment of skin, hair, nails and the related problems and diseases. The field entails the use of both- medical, as well as the surgical aspects. A dermatologist is a professional who has acquired the necessary training and education to deal with the problems you suffer, related to your skin, your hair, and your nails, and in some cases, even your scalp.
A Dermatologist in the United States is a professional who has earned their medical degree, either an MD or a DO. They must have completed about four years of their training, as per the regulations of the American Board of Dermatology, and the American Osteopathic Board of Dermatology. During their training, budding dermatologists are supposed to perform all kinds of medical functions and perform various surgeries, as interns. This will then be followed by three years of them performing as complete dermatologists. They would then be able to get their fellowship, which is essential for their future. This fellowship is available for a period of either one year or two years, depending on the field they choose. Your online trainer and online fitness coach is just a click away, experience our world class online personal training services
- The field of dermatology is divided into various categories. They are:
- Cosmetic Dermatology
- Mohs surgery
- Pediatric Dermatology
Various therapies and treatments are performed under the categories as mentioned above of dermatology treatments, like hair removal, tattoo removal, cosmetic filler injections, lasers to remove birthmarks, and other skin disorders, photodynamic therapy to treat skin cancer, liposuction, surgeries to remove warts, radiation therapies, vitiligo surgery, etc.
- Here are certain facts to know about dermatologists:
- They are highly trained to treat any form of skin problem, hair problem or even nails related problems you have.
- They are highly experienced because their training, education and fellowship period takes longer than usual, about 12 years.
- One of the most competitive medical school programs is that of the field of dermatology. The top-performing students are the takers of the dermatology courses in their higher education.
- The training period consists of a majority of time in the clinic, practically performing tasks, and attending lectures and presentations, doing research work, and practically just getting involved in everything skin related.
- There are over 2800 skin conditions that need to be studied thoroughly by a dermatologist,
- Dermatologists have significant training in the aspects of your nails, your hair, and your skin.
- Before they can call themselves dermatologist, they must be legible in the field of determining different skin types, different conditions, interpreting those types and conditions, determining the related diseases, and even thoroughly studying about all kinds of aspects of skin cancer.
- They need to undertake a board examination to become dermatologists, which is after they have completed their fellowship.
- After they have cleared the board examination, they are required to repeat the board exam every year to maintain their credentials and certifications.
- Dermatology is the one area in medicine that entails in-depth training and treatment regarding skin cancer.